My family and friends joke that I’d eat dirt if it helped my health. When I was a younger I would run to my mom in a panic shouting, “I think I just swallowed a bug!” or “I just ate some mud pie! Am I going to die?” Her response to me would always be, “You need to eat a pound of dirt before you die, you’ll be fine.” Sooooo, my family and friends just might be right.
I’m always trying new and interesting exercises so when I find one that is fairly simple and extremely affective, I just have to share it. If you haven’t heard of it yet, it’s called the stomach vacuum exercise. A simple abdominal move that targets your inner most abdominal muscles, the transverse abdominis. This technique involves contracting those internal abdominal muscles and is very effective in burning belly fat. Most fitness instructors believe that stomach vacuums are a fabulous way to reduce your midsection. It is said that incorporating this technique in your regular abdominal workout can help you burn off visceral fat in as little as three weeks. I’ll take that!
Excess body fat has serious consequences to our health but excess visceral fat is even more dangerous. It increases our risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and some cancers, regardless of your weight. Let’s give this exercise a try and report back in three weeks.
TIPS BEFORE STARTING:
1. Make sure to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
2. Best if done on an empty stomach to create more space for contraction.
3. DO NOT do this exercise if you have an inguinal hernia.
My preference is the stand up version:
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder length apart.
- Place your hands on your hips.
- Slowly inhale as much as possible, bringing in your stomach as much as you can.
- Try to imagine a string pulling your navel towards your backbone.
- Hold this position for 15 seconds, breathing normally.
- After 15 seconds exhale slowly bringing your stomach back to starting position.
- Repeat this sequence of moves 3-5 times.
If your confused on how to effectively do the stomach vacuum, check out youtube where you’ll find plenty of videos. This has to be the easiest breathing exercise to help you achieve a flat tummy. Give it a try….what do you have to lose but a few inches!
Rebecca Louise | Realife Co